- Alabama utilities are some of the lowest priced in the nation.
- Alabaster and Shelby County are not subject to occupational taxes.
- Alabaster and the state of Alabama have one of the lowest tax rates in the nation. A full 19% below the national average.
- Alabaster's phenomenal growth is expected to continue with a predicted growth rate between 35 and 40% over the next ten years.
- The average age of an Alabaster resident is 33 years old.
- Even with the City's fast growth, population density figures in Alabaster are less than one person per acre.
- In comparison to the region, Alabaster has a higher than average family income of over $68,000.
- Major employers in health care, manufacturing, and mining bolster Alabaster's strong economic base.
GrowthAlabaster’s growth is at an all time high. Alabaster is one of the fastest growing cities in one of the fastest growing counties in the country. That means the demand for retail, restaurants and other commercial developments are also at an all time high.
Please review Shelby County's latest Housing Growth Projections forecast. CLICK HERE the PDF document.
Translation; Alabaster is a profitable location. From geographical location to quality of life, Alabaster is a prime location for commercial and office development.
Economic Services & IncentivesAlabaster offers competitive tax advantages to make it easy to locate your business in the city or, for that matter, to relocate. Alabaster businesses enjoy some of the lowest utility rates in the nation.
Currently Alabaster has a water capacity of 5 million gallons a day. The Alabaster Water Board is in the process of looking to expand its daily supply for the city to provide for substantial growth.
The City expanded its’ wastewater treatment plant capacity by adding 4.7 million gallons of capacity per day to the city. This pushed Alabaster’s total sewer treatment capacity to 7.6 million gallons per day.
LocationAlabaster is located on Interstate 65 just 20 miles South of downtown Birmingham and just six miles south of Interstate 459. We are also less than an hour from Montgomery, meaning that we are in the heart of Alabama between the state’s largest city and the capitol city. This location provides access to a high-density corridor of travelers and residents and makes it a perfect place to do business.
Major Private EmployersShelby Baptist Medical Center is the city’s major private employer with more than 900 employees and over 230 beds. The hospital has completed multiple expansions in the past several years.
Major employer examples include:
- De Shazo Crane, 10 employees
- Dravo Basic Material, 135 employees
- Shelby Baptist, 900 employees
- Specification Rubber, 117 employees
The city has grown tremendously over the past few decades. The median age of an Alabaster resident is 33 years old, and the median family income is estimated at $80,871, which translates to young professionals with disposable income.
In surveys, residents site retail and restaurants as the areas they would like to see developed in the city. The Alabaster community is very stable with an estimated 71% of households being occupied by married couples. Population density figures have one resident per acre in Alabaster leaving lots of room to grow.
Police & Fire Protection
Alabaster has one of the lowest crime rates in Shelby County and the southeast. With over 60 sworn officers and 10 support personnel, the Alabaster Police Department offers excellent coverage from well-trained and professional officers.
The city has 3 fire stations in an effort to provide the very best in fire protection to its citizens and local business.
Alabaster is constantly evaluating both police and fire personnel levels and will be adding more staffing and stations as needed.
1953 Municipal Way
Alabaster, AL 35007
1953 Municipal Way Alabaster AL 35007
Phone: 205-664-6800Fax: 205-664-6841
Monday - Friday from 8am - 4:30pm
The City of Alabaster administrative offices are located at 1953 Municipal Way.
The departments housed in this facility are:
- Accounting - 1st Floor
- Administration - 2nd Floor
- Building Services - 1st Floor
- Engineering - 1st Floor
- Revenue - 1st Floor
- Municipal Court - 1st Floor