How to Obtain a City Of Alabaster Business License
The City of Alabaster requires that every person, firm, company or corporation engaged in any business, occupation, profession, trade, exhibition or vocation shall apply for and procure a license prior to conducting any business within the corporate limits of the city. Questions can be directed to the Revenue Department Business License Clerk at 205-664-6844.
Please Note: Contractors, subcontractors, commercial landscapers, etc., should obtain other applicable permit applications and information from the City of Alabaster Inspection Services Department webpage.
Commercial - Any commercial contractor who performs a job for over $50,000 must have an Alabama General Contractor's License: A General Contractor's License is also required for any swimming pool exceeding $5,000 (including materials and labor).
"General contractor" defined; "Subcontractor" defined.
- For the purpose of this chapter, a "general contractor" is defined to be one who, for a fixed price, commission, fee, or wage undertakes to construct or superintend or engage in the construction, alteration, maintenance, repair, rehabilitation, remediation, reclamation, or demolition of any building, highway, sewer, structure, site work, grading, paving or project or any improvement in the State of Alabama where the cost of the undertaking is $50,000 or more, shall be deemed and held to have engaged in the business of general contracting in the State of Alabama.
- For the purpose of this chapter, a "general contractor" is defined to include one who, for a fixed price, commission, fee, or wage exceeding $5,000, undertakes to construct, superintend the construction of, repair, or renovate, any swimming pool, and anyone who shall engage in the construction, superintending of the construction, repair, or renovation of any swimming pool in the State of Alabama, where the cost of the undertaking exceeds $5,000, shall be deemed and held to have engaged in the business of general contracting in the State of Alabama and shall be subject to this chapter.
Residential - Any contractor who bids out jobs for more than $10,000 must have a Home Builder's License from the state. All general contractors below No. 18908, who are current, is a legal home builder.
Other contractors that require a card on file before a license can be issued are listed below. Each classification has a separate state board that has rules and regulations that correspond to the Code of Alabama. Most of the Boards have a website that provides all pertinent information.
- Air conditioning and heating (HVAC)
- Plumbing and gas fitters - There may be a single card issued for each classification or there may only be 1 card issued for Master Plumber and Master Gas Fitter (The combination card will have 2 different colors of stripes at the top of the card)
How Often to Renew a City of Alabaster Business License
Due Date & Additional License
Annual Renewal. Except as provided in subsections (i) or (ii), the business license shall be renewed annually on or before the 31st day of January each year.
- If the due date for payment of any business license falls on a weekend or a holiday recognized by the municipality from time to time, the due date shall automatically be extended until the next business day.
- Insurance company annual license renewals shall be renewed in accordance with Section 11-51-122 of the Code of Alabama which states that each year, each insurance company shall furnish the municipality a statement in writing duly certified showing the full and true amount of gross premiums received during the preceding year and shall accompany such statement with the amount of license tax due according to the licensing schedule. Failure to furnish such statement or to pay such sum shall subject the company and its agents to those penalties as prescribed for doing business without a license as provided for in the municipal code.